*disclaimer* This was my first attempt at it and I will proceed to tell you in detail how I did it. I sat in my class thinking about what I was going to eat when I got home and I was definitely not thinking of Pizza because the way my bank account is set up… All week I had been craving something Nigerian, I felt well since I had some time on my hands and I had been marinating chicken all day why not give Fried Rice and Chicken a shot (Fried rice is definitely not complete without chicken or some meat
There are three parts to this meal *drumroll*: The Fried Rice, Grilled Chicken and a side salad that anyone could put together.
– 4 Chicken Quarters
– 2 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
– 2 Seasoning Cubes
– 1 Onion Bulb
– 3 Habanero Peppers
– 1 Tablespoon of Thyme
– 1 Tablespoon of Curry
– 1 Teaspoon of Salt
– 1 Clove of Garlic
– ¼ Cup Water
– 2 Cups of Long Grain Parboiled Rice
– Chopped Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Corn, Green Peas, Green Beans)
– Chicken Gizzards/Liver
– Bell Peppers (Green/Yellow/Red)
– Green Onions (Chopped)
– 1 Cup of Chicken Stock
– Vegetable/Coconut Oil (For the Fitfam)
– Any Leaf. Just kidding. I used Romaine Lettuce, Grape tomatoes and bell peppers for this one.
1. Make your chicken marinade with all the spices and seasonings listed and marinate the chicken and gizzards for as long as you can I did mine for about a whole day. Cook in a pot on low heat for about twenty minutes, Heat oven to 400F and place chicken quarters in a tray and grill for 30 minutes. Continue cooking the gizzards till they are done for another twenty minutes. Drain and reserve chicken stock.
2. While the Chicken is grilling, parboil your rice till it is half cooked and then take it off the heat and drain the water from it.
3. Chop up your vegetables into small bits, the carrots, peas and so on (I got the frozen packs because that would have taken a long time to cut…or I was saving money on groceries). Also cut up your gizzards into smaller bits
4. This is the important part that makes it “Fried Rice”. In a pan measure about two serving spoons of coconut or canola oil and heat it up, before it gets really hot pour in chicken stock, vegetables, gizzards and rice and stir it all together. Reduce heat on the pan and leave till the chicken stock and oil mixes with everything. Note: The ideal fried rice is not sticky or in lumps so you should let the stock dry to avoid that.
6. Served it and this was a really lovely dinner you could make this and share with friends or keep the remaining and take it as lunch the next day to work. And the next day and the next day