Okay guys, I can explain. I apologize for the absence. Due to work, research and food orders. Also, because I finally decided to start shooting videos for my YouTube channel! Apparently, it isn’t as easy as I thought. But Yay!
This recipe, has come a long way, from 2015 when I had my first bowl of Pho with my Vietnamese friend and my Korean professor. Enjoyed it so much I went back there to order a bowl and understand it properly. It happened that I asked another Nigerian if they had tried Pho and the answer was “what is that?” Had me like…
That got me thinking, how do I explain it and I blurted out “it is Asian noodles in flavorful soup”.
This set off a bright idea (or maybe I was just hungry), Pho is good for the cold weather, has meat in it, could be made to be spicy, it’s always in a rich and tasty broth…
What is the Nigerian equivalent? Pepper Soup! And ladies and gentlemen this was how this came about. Rice Noodles in a Goat meat Pepper soup broth. Nigerian Pho
Goat Meat and Tripe
Ground Pepper Soup spice
Uda (a special seed/pepper soup spice called Negro pepper *stares at camera*)
Garnish: Bean sprouts, red onions, green onions, cilantro, jalapenos and mint leaves
- Assemble the infantry, pour a libation to the Nigerian gods, and bow to the Vietnamese gods because you are about to do a fusion of both cultures. Put some respeck on it.
- Cut up your meats in tiny bite sized pieces, remove all the bones, throw in 2 maggi cubes, 2 Tbsp salt, 2 habaneros, 3 Tbsp pepper soup spice, 2 cloves of uda, 4 mint leaves, 2 Tbsp chili flakes, a thumb size of ginger. Add about 4 cups of water and boil till desired softness.
- When your meat is cooked to perfection you will see the broth is now a little thicker from the meat flavor and stock.
- Slice your garnish items (red onions, green onions, cilantro, jalapenos) very thinly and set aside. These will harmonize (that word sounded cool in my head so I threw it in there) your dish as you eat it.
- Bring 3 cups of water to boil, turn off the heat and put your rice noodles in it. Let this stand for 10 minutes.
- Plate your dish, noodles in, pour the pepper soup broth over it, arrange your goat meat respectfully on one side, garnish on the other side and bam! You have it.