Exactly 30 minutes ago, I served up this dish, I told myself I would only eat half of it.
You guessed right, I ate all of it. It was so damn good, this was me after the first bite.
For the first time in a forever, I found turkey wings at Walmart. I looked at them like a kid looks at bicycle he’s always wanted, wrapped, under the Christmas tree. That reminds me my Dad never bought me a BMX after he promised he would if I came first…I digress.
Well, I saw them and I swore I was going to make the best out of it. I was thinking about what to do with it. I knew I wanted it packed with flavour, fresh, spicy, sweet and in a sauce. So I thought, marinate it exactly that way. That blend of coconut milk, cilantro and pepper needs to be studied in school. And I added some brown sugar for that sweetness. When I tell you this was perfection I promise you I am not lying at all!
Made the marinade and left marinating overnight, had sweet dreams about it, daydreams at work and on the way home and when I finally got to it. It was a WRAP!
The beautiful thing is you only season the marinade and that’s it. Without further ado, I will get to it and save you the tales about how I finished one of the wings before I got it in the sauce, some other day!
But yes, this recipe absolutely easy because I used the marinade the wings baked in to make the sauce. Easy peasy!
4 Turkey Wings
1 Can Coconut Milk
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Red Onions
A thumb of Ginger
A Bunch of Cilantro
2 Tsp Black Garlic
4 Garlic Cloves
Red Bell Pepper
That is it, for everything. It did take me two days because, honestly, I was trying to figure out what to do with it.
- In a blender, add green onions, cilantro, thyme, coconut milk, Brown sugar, ginger, salt, one red onion and 2 garlic cloves. Blend till smooth. Marinate the wings in this and leave to sit.
- Now, take your wings out of the marinade brush them off and we are going to brown the skin. Heat up some oil in a pan and sear the skin till it is golden brown.
- Pour marinade in an oven-safe pan, place wings in the pan, cover with foil and bake for 70 minutes at 450F. Save the liquid left in the pan after baking.
- When that is done, slice 2 garlic cloves, half a thumb of ginger, half a red onion, green onions, half a red bell pepper.
- Saute your garlic and ginger, pour the marinade into the pan and let this cook for 4 minutes. Add your red onion, green onion and a red bell pepper and turn off the heat. Place your wings back in and you are done.
- I had this with Basmati rice and it was a winner.